Animation companies, professionals and trainers are joining forces to create a new representative group for animation in Wales.
The Wales Animation Movement (WAM) believes animation is ideally placed to take advantage of the economic initiatives identified in the recent Hargreaves Creative Industries report here in Wales because:
Animation generates valuable IP through:
- Sales of television programmes, games, platform applications, visual effects talent
- Exploitation of character brands through publishing and licensing, with a value that extends far beyond animation itself.
- Generation of software and new business models
- New methods of graphic communication, from Motion Graphics, Virtual Worlds and scientific data visualisation.
- Animation is international. Welsh animation has won awards and sold its programmes throughout the world.
- Animation and interactive graphics are playing an every increasing role in software design, notably in developing innovative Graphical User Interfaces.
- Animation has become vital to the international film industry with Avatar becoming the highest grossing film of all time, leading the way in creating new animation techniques which will revolutionise future film making.
- Real time animation innovation is the driving force behind the games industry which has grown to the point where it rivals the international film industry.
- Animation is already, and instinctively cross-platform. Animation is an integral part of the digital revolution.